May 7, 2015

May 7, 2015… three months after my interview at University of Miami.

May 7, 2015… just long enough after the last “official” day to hear if you’ve been selected off the waiting list to lose some hope.

May 7, 2015… ten days before the first day of PT school at my dream school, the University of Miami.

And my favorite,

May 7, 2015… the day my luck turned around and the waiting game was finally over. I was taking my talents to Miami *throws up the U*!

I’ll never forget how special my acceptance story to U Miami was. There were many twists and turns along the way, I love telling it.

In March of 2015 I planned a trip to Jamaica with some of my closest friends. As the trip approached so did the deadline for hearing an acceptance from UMPT. So naturally, I was a nervous wreck but luckily the amazing time I had in Jamaica was enough to distract me. On the last day of my trip I was sitting in the Kingston airport next to one of my best friends and a big supporter through my application process, Jenae. We were both on the airport wifi passing time until our flight boarded and then up pops an e-mail notification. At any e-mail notification I got jittery but usually it was followed by a sigh “Oh, it was just another Sephora coupon” or “Dang, my credit card statement is available now.” Not that day, that day the email was from University of Miami! I opened it so quick and I was so excited to read that I was placed on the waiting list. At first, I’ll admit I was a little let down that it wasn’t an acceptance but Jenae’s excitement allowed me to focus on the fact that this meant my journey wasn’t over! Being on the waiting list was not a rejection, and up until that point the only news I had received was rejection after rejection. The waiting list was a huge win.

The next two months included a lot of refreshing my e-mail screen whenever I picked up my phone, answering unknown number phone calls (that typically I would ignore), and frantically checking a thread I found online of fellow pre-PT students sharing news of their own acceptances. (Side note. That’s definitely something I’d tell myself 5 years ago… stay away from those discussion threads. Their story is not my story! And nothing productive came from cyber stalking strangers to see if they got accepted to UM yet.) I was a wreck. I really, truly, tried to remain optimistic and positive but there was always that little voice of doubt in the back of my head. Within these two months, the majority of those seventeen rejections rolled through. This left Miami as one of my last options, but also still my first choice. I tried to focus on keeping a balance of being realistic and optimistic.

Now when I received the wait-list notice, it included the date of May 6th as the last day to hear back regarding an acceptance. So by the end of the day on May 6th I was a huge mess. I couldn’t eat. I couldn’t sleep. But at the same time, I tried not to let myself cry. I was such a wreck that the next day (for some reason that now I can’t remember) I didn’t go to work. It might have been because when you can’t eat or sleep you make yourself sick, or I had prior obligations. I truly do not recall, that part of May 7th was foggy. I do remember another detail though, it wasn’t that amazing of a day for Jack either, my younger sibling. I got a phone call from Jack asking if I could come pick them up and wait for a tow truck because their car was acting up. I made it to Jack and we sat in the front seat of my car, listening to music to pass the time. My music stopped. My phone starts ringing over my car stereo from an unknown 305 area code. U Miami didn’t even cross their mind, their phone number had been saved for months. Amongst the exhaustion and brain fog I had convinced myself it was the towing company calling. Nope… I answered to a familiar voice, the admissions director of UMPT. Funny thing is this must have been her direct line, they knew better than to post this number on the internet! I was told that a spot had opened up and asked if I was interested in accepting it. I blacked out, tears streamed down my face. I remember asking Jack after I hung up “Did I answer her? I said yes right?” Jack reassured me that I did indeed accept, and that no I wasn’t dreaming.

There it was. The moment I had been waiting for two years. I was officially a Miami Hurricane. My dream came true.

My last day at work, the day after I received my acceptance to UM. It’s funny, I can see the exhaustion all over my face in this photo!

The rest of that day and the next were filled with celebrations and then quickly also became full of figuring out the logistics of me moving to Miami to start PT school in 10 days! It was the wildest time period, time was moving so fast yet so slow at the same time. I will never forget the feeling of waking up after a nap that day, May 7th, 2015, unsure if I had dreamt it all. Sometimes I still have to pinch myself and remember it’s true.. I’m living my dream. I have no choice but to believe that hard work makes dreams come true. And that’s how I made it to the U!


If you have been loving my posts, or maybe you know a friend who would love them please share! Also, if you would like to sign up to receive weekly e-mails reminding you when I have a new post up please sign up right here


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s